Audience Engagement through New Media Evaluation Committee
Doris Duke Grant 2014 – 2015 – New Media
We are now nearing the end of the grant period for a major two-year grant from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. With this grant, we set out to help the national theatre community use new media to engage audiences. We are doing this by:
- Creating high-quality, entertaining and educational content illuminating the work, the people, and the process of theatre. This content includes:
- Produced Content – for example, our new episodes of “Working in the Theatre”
- Repurposed Content – for example, our “Classic Clips” that highlight material from our 1,000 hours of archived videos and podcasts
- Contributed Content from theatre-makers across the country
- Promoting that content using our digital strategy
- Working with artists and theatre companies across the country to create content/ help them create content that tells their stories
- Using this experience and the resulting body of content to create a model for engaging audiences online
- Disseminating that model so that the broader theatre community can apply what we’ve learned and adopt new media habits and practices that will allow them to engage their audiences online more deliberately and effectively.
Our intention is to give theatre companies of all sizes the opportunity to engage national audiences in an interactive conversation about their artistic work, promoting the value of theatre to ever broader audiences. During the two-year grant period we set out to launch and pilot this initiative, build participation from the theatre community, engage audiences, and expand self-produced and contributed new media content. It is our hope that you will help us evaluate our progress thus far and help us create a strategy for the most effective ways to move forward.
Click link below for full Duke Grant.
Examples and What We’ve Learned Thus Far
- Successful growth in audiences across all platforms
- Content shot and contained content relating to the national theatre experience including videos shot in seven states.
- Through our growth and connections, we became verified accounts by Facebook, Twitter, and grew our subscriber base on YouTube to become a YouTube Space Content Partner
Click link below for full progress report.
The American Theatre Wing welcomes your questions, opinions and concerns.