Article & Video Cheat Sheet
Here’s a quick cheat-sheet/checklist for publishing articles and videos with a handful of suggestions for things we like to double-check when writing and publishing for the web. Feel free to add to and edit this list based on your personal style.
Article & Video Cheat Sheet:
- Is the title and dek descriptive and unique?
- How do they look in context of homepage, lander and detail page? Occasionally you may need to “write to fit,” making small adjustments to the copy if it’s too long or too short.
- Double-check the permalink:
- Is it descriptive and unique?
- Does it accurately reflect the article title?
- Should any related articles or videos be set? (optional)
- Is the author field set accurately? (typically set to American Theatre Wing)
- Check for (and remove) any extras in the article body:
- Double spaces or non-breaking spaces in the article text
- Extra paragraph returns at the end of the post
- Extra or redundant characters like ellipses, double right arrows in links (»), periods in titles/deks, etc.
- Extra capitalization: anything in all-caps?
- Check the tags
- Are the tags entered in title case?
- Are the tags descriptive? The tags give a quick overview of what the article is about – include primary topics as well as notable people, programs, etc.
- Featured Image/Alternate Featured Image
- Please refer to the image guidelines and photoshop templates for sizing
- How does the image look in context of the homepage, lander and detail page? If something important (like someone’s face) is getting cropped out anywhere, the image may need to be re-cropped so the the important bits are more central in the image.
- Does the photo fill the image? Double-check for small slivers of solid color at the edges.